Beer Battered Fish
For our Beer Battered Fish we use mild tasting tilapia fillets which work great with this quick meal. Cook up a big batch to serve with French fries and coleslaw for a fish and chips dinner.
- Place 1 cup of white flour, 1 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp. of fresh cracked pepper and 2 tsp. of fresh, chopped dill into a mixing bowl.
- Beat together in another bowl: 2 large egg yolks, 1 tbsp. melted butter and 3/4 cup of light beer.
Whip 2 large egg whites at a high speed with egg beaters until they form soft peaks.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture and mix, just until combined. Fold in the egg whites gently with a spatula.
Frying the Tilapia
- Place 2 lbs. of tilapia fillets on a cutting board. Pat the fillets dry with paper towels.
- Cut the fillets into 1 or 2-inch strips or chunks, depending how you like yours, with a sharp knife.
- Fill a heavy, deep skillet or frying pan with 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil. Attach a thermometer to the inside of the pan.
- Heat the oil to 375 F over medium-high heat.
- Place 2 to 3 pieces of fish into the batter. Coat the fish with the batter and pick out the pieces, one at a time, with metal tongs. Gently lower the fish into the hot oil. Add the remaining battered fish pieces.
- Cook the fish until its golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the fish with a slotted metal spoon and place them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Serve the fish immediately with lemons and tartar sauce.
Simple Homemade Tarter Sauce
For homemade tarter sauce, combine 1/3 cup mayo, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp sweet pickle relish and 1/4 tsp onion powder and mix well.
Video on how to make a versatile beer batter for any fish.